Lexie Conyngham's Blog: writing, history and gardening.

Monday 15 January 2018

Indie Reading Challenge

Hebridean Storm: Book One of The Matt Macaulay Trilogy by [Libby, Patterson]



Right, here's the first of my Indie authors for the year, and a new author to me, too. She's Libby Patterson, and the book is Hebridean Storm, apparently the first in a trilogy though No.3 is not yet out

I heard about this on a Facebook group and thought I’d give it a go, and first I’d like to pass quickly over what’s not good about it, just to get it out of the way. The cover is dull, and the book could do with a good edit – there are sentences that aren’t sentences, and wandering commas everywhere. It certainly doesn't feel as if it's written by a Scot (not that that is a problem, and indeed it gives some bite to the newcomers' reactions to the island), but at least there is some local knowledge. Right, that’s done. This is a cracking yarn, more of a light thriller than a whodunit, but with a keen sense of place both in Glasgow and on South Uist. The good characters are three dimensional with depths to them that will allow for the sequel at least to be interesting. The bad characters are a little less well drawn, but still have their quirks. It’s well worth fighting through the editing to enjoy the story, and I’ll be reading the next one which I see is already out. This almost made it on to my concurrent Crime Tour of Scotland, but not quite!

www.ddsreviews.in

No comments:

Post a Comment